If you don’t happen to live under the rock, then you probably have heard about Snapchat and how it has gained popularity in recent years. Snapchat is the most famous web-based media applications out there. It is a straightforward way to share ordinary moments and memories while at the same time making them look great.
Sometimes we tend to make mistakes like sending our snap to someone else we initially didn’t intend to, or maybe a snap of a crazy night out on a private screenshot.
So what can be done?
How do we delete the snap or the Snapchat message? If we make a social mistake and regret it, how do we take it down? Worry not, we can save you! If you send that embarrassing filter to your crush, we have the perfect run through to help you to know how to delete Snapchat messages.
What are the built-in settings of Snapchat?
Previously, the messages sent to your contacts on the chats page would disappear after viewing or after twenty-four hours of viewing according to the custom settings. If the messages were kept unread, it would still be in the chatbox for thirty days. Although in every group chat, the messages are deleted after twenty-four hours.
How to Delete Snapchat Messages?
Snapchat has rolled in a new feature in the app (available only in the updated version) just a few weeks back, which lets you delete Snapchat messages sent to your contacts.
Now you can delete any unread or read messages that have been sent by mistake or have regrets, similar to the ‘delete for all’ option on WhatsApp messenger. So if you were also curious to know how to delete Snapchat messages, here is the answer.
Steps to delete Snapchat messages-
- Open the Snapchat messenger app on your phone.
- Swipe right to the friends chat page.
- Choose the chat column where you can see the ongoing chats with your contacts and groups.
- Send a new message or select that embarrassing message that you want to delete.
- Now to delete the Snapchat message, tap on the message, and hold it for a few seconds.
- On the tier option, select ‘delete.’
Viola! You have successfully saved yourself from a social embarrassment.
How does the deleted message appear to the other chat participant?
As you have deleted the Snapchat message, the message no longer exists on the users one on one chatbox, and it won’t appear to either one on the chat. However, there will be a line on the notice displayed on the chat that the message sent or the text line had been removed.
Snapchat says that it attempts to remove the deleted line of text from the Snapchat servers and the receiver’s devices and warns that the feature might not work if the receiver has a bad internet connection or uses an outdated version of Snapchat messenger.
Delete saved messages on Snapchat
In the new version of Snapchat, you can save messages using a long press. This means Snapchat can be used like any other messenger apps where the messages are saved in a single long thread. Although if you want to delete the saved thread messages, then follows these few steps:
- Tap on the friend’s chats page and long press on the individual messages.
- Hold down on the text message to un-save it.
- Next time when you open the conversation. The thread will not be visible.
Deleting the Snapchat messages one by one can be a long process, so if you want to delete the thread altogether, then follow the steps:
- Tap on the ghost icon on the capture window, click on the gear icon.
- Choose the ‘clear conversations’ option.
- Select the conversation menu that you want to delete, and then click on the ‘x’ icon.
- The thread will be deleted for good.
How to Delete all conversations on Snapchat
All snap chatters know that the snaps and the incoming and outgoing messages are grouped under ‘conversations.’ All these conversations can be found tiled under the friend’s page. Sometimes the number of conversations and groups pile up, and it is not easy to manage them other than creating group chats to control and consolidate them.
So if you want to wipe your conversation tab clean, follow these steps:
- Launch the Snapchat app on your phone.
- On the snap screen (where you click snaps), click on your profile icon, which opens a menu.
- On the menu screen, click on the gear icon to open Snapchat settings.
- In account settings, scroll down to ‘clear conversations’ under the submenu ‘account actions.’ select it.
- All the Snapchat contact conversations will appear on your screen. The right of each chat is an ‘x’ icon. Click on that.
- An option will ask you if you want to clear that conversation. Tap clear.
- Now repeat that same action on each chat.
Snapchat cannot delete any conversation that has been marked as saved. The snaps that have been sent might still be accessible by the other participants.
There are many times we send certain messages we did not intend to send in the first place. Previously it was a problem, but now as the new features have solved all our problems we can be at ease and easily delete Snapchat messages.
New techniques adding to these apps have made texting and snapping a lot easier than before. With no fear of embarrassment, you can snap in peace. Happy snapping!